My client is a world leader in Digital and Analogue ink manufacturing. Their IT department provides services for four companies based in the UK, USA and India.
As an application developer you will be working for a dynamic team which uses technology as a business enabler. They have several control application which have been developed with VB.Net. The successful candidate will both support and modernise these solutions.
The successful candidate will provide support for the current VB.Net applications as well as developing new applications from scratch. They will head the VB.Net modernisation program. This includes providing Web front end applications for the control systems.
- Net application development and support.
- Support existing SQL database packages and procedures
- Developing Web front end for existing and new applications.
- Engage in all areas of SDLC – testing, documentation, implementation and release management process for the systems.
- Support and develop interfaces between the VB.Net, Web applications and other business solutions.
- Implement security and data protection measures for existing and new applications.
- Understand and perform maintenance of systems including diagnosis and resolution of technical problems which may be of a complex nature.
- Prepare system documentation including technical and end user manuals.
- Evaluate new products and technologies as required by the business.
- Keep up to date with relevant technology related to the company’s software solutions, which may include attending conferences and training.
- Review of current systems and presentation of ideas for system improvements
- A passion for IT and learning about existing and new technologies.
- Demonstrable knowledge of VB.Net, MySQL, MS SQL, JAVA Script.
- Knowledge of GIT version control processes.
- The ability to produce detailed specifications and write program code
- Ability to develop effective testing procedures.
Nice to have
- Experience developing software for manufacturing companies is beneficial.
- Experience in server configuration (e.g. Windows, LINUX)
5 GCSE’s or equivalent, including Maths and English together with relational database fundamentals, design and development knowledge. Further development in the role will require a degree in a relevant subject or the equivalent experience, demonstrating comprehensive, up-to-date knowledge of desktop and web application development using data from backend databases.
Key Competencies for this role:
- Strong analytical & problem solving skills
- Self-motivated and autonomous with effective time management abilities
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- A structured and transparent approach to work to allow work to be picked up and understood by colleagues)
- Team Oriented, collaborative
- Experience of working with MSSQL and MySQL)
- Proficient understanding with software testing
Responsible for understanding & adhering to the management systems procedures relating to their working area, work instructions, risk assessments and safe systems of work.